Here are some of the most important components of technical SEO for beginners:
- Website hierarchy: Refers to the hierarchical organization of your website, from general (homepage) to specific (blog post).
- Crawl, index, render: Your site architecture is the first step to ensuring Google can properly crawl and index your website.
- Consistent URL structure: There’s no need to overthink your URL structure.
- Spot indexing issues: Your first step is to find any pages on your site that search engine spiders have trouble crawling.
- Internal link to “deep” pages: Internal linking helps search engines understand the structure of your website and the importance of each page .
Beginner Steps in Technical SEO
Here are some steps to get started with technical SEO:
- Make a Google Search Console account if you haven’t already. This will help you monitor your website’s performance and identify any issues that need to be addressed.
- Create a robots.txt file. This file tells search engines which pages to crawl and which ones to ignore .
- Build an XML and HTML sitemap. This helps search engines understand the structure of your website and find all of your pages.
- Use HTTPS. This is a secure version of HTTP that encrypts data between the user’s browser and the website.
- Establish an SEO-friendly navigation. This helps search engines understand the structure of your website and the importance of each page.
- Follow an SEO-friendly URL structure. This helps search engines understand what your pages are about and how they relate to each other.
- Develop a mobile-friendly website. This is important because more and more people are using their mobile devices to browse the web.
- Optimize page speed. This is important because faster-loading pages tend to rank higher in search engine results .
Mistakes to avoid in technical SEO
Here are some common technical SEO mistakes to avoid:
- Overlooking the value of SEO strategy. Many small businesses lack an SEO strategy .
- Failing to be specific with demographics .
- Following ineffective SEO activities .
- Producing and sharing samey, disengaging content. Online content should be original, useful, engaging and relatable .
- Overlooking the relationship of SEO and user experience .
- Forgetting to measure SEO success .